A History of Success
In 1999, Tianqiao Chen and Chrissy Luo founded Shanda Interactive Entertainment. Originally an online game company, Shanda would blaze a unique path to success and expand to become an online entertainment conglomerate.
In 2014, Shanda began a new chapter when it became a private investment firm focused on identifying innovative technologies and business models that can change the world.
- Shanda was founded in Shanghai
- Nasdaq: SNDA became the first Chinese online games company listed in the U.S.
- Nasdaq: SNDA becomes the largest Internet company in China by market capitalization
- Chen was named to MIT Technology Review’s TR100 list
- Nasdaq: SNDA pioneers the freemium model, setting a new standard for the online game industry
- Named one of Business week’s TOP 25 Stars of Asia
- Online literature company Cloudary Corporation is incorporated, creating the world’s largest Chinese-language original content platform
- Founded Shanda Institute for Innovation and Technology, focused on the research and development of innovative technologies and applications related to the Internet, mobile technology and digital media
- Nasdaq: GAME is spun off, marking the then-largest ever U.S. IPO of a Chinese private sector company
- Founded Shanda Capital for venture capital investing
- Shanda Interactive Entertainment Limited (NASDAQ: SNDA) is privatized in the then-largest take-private transaction of a U.S.-listed Chinese company
- Shanda World is established for real estate development, operations and investment
- Shanda’s global headquarters are relocated to Singapore
- Shanda announces the sale of Cloudary Corporation. The Chens sell their entire stake in Shanda Games Limited (NASDAQ: GAME)
- Purchasing over 700,000 acres of timberland in U.S. and Canada, Shanda becomes one of the largest timberland owners in North America
- Shanda becomes the largest shareholder of Legg Mason, Inc. (NYSE: LM)
- Shanda becomes the largest shareholder of LendingClub Corporation (NYSE: LC)
- Shanda becomes the largest shareholder of Community Health Systems, Inc. (NYSE: CYH)
- Shanda’s founders donate $115million to Caltech to create Tianqiao and Chrissy Chen Institute (TCCI)
- The Chens are named to Forbes Asia Heroes of Philanthropy List
- Shanda’s founders commit RMB 500 million to create the Tianqiao Chen Institute for Brain Health in Shanghai
- Shanda exits Legg Mason investment with 40% IRR
- The Chens are named “Science Funders of the Year” by Inside Philanthropy
- Tianqiao Chen is awarded Committee of 100 “2018 Leadership Award”
- Shanghai Mental Health Center joins the Tianqiao Chen Institute for Brain Health
- “Minds Wide Open,” a documentary commissioned by the Chens for their philanthropy debuts on the Discovery Channel
- “Minds Wide Open” wins three New York Film Festivals TV & Film Awards, eventually winning eight internal awards in total
- The first Tianqiao and Chrissy Chen Frontier Lab for Brain Research is opened at Huashan Hospital’s Honqiao campus in Shanghai.
- The Tianqiao and Chrissy Chen Neuroscience Research Building is opened at Caltech
About the Shanda Icon
Shanda’s logo was designed to reflect our Chinese heritage and to symbolize our role as a catalyst and king maker, helping innovative businesses thrive.
The first part of the icon is the letter A, representing the best of the best.
A calligraphic brush stroke from Shanda’s Founder and Chairman, Tianqiao Chen, serves to unite the Eastern and Western characters and in doing so, transforms the icon into the Da character “大” meaning big.
This reflects our desire to help the best get bigger.